Sunday Papers Live as part of Cambridge Science Festival
March 15 @ 12:00 pm - 6:00 pm£15.00
- COLUMNIST – Steve Cross– The London event’s host, comedian all round brilliant compere and geek!
- WORLD NEWS – David Spieglehalter OBE–Nasty Numbers in the News: statistician and risk-expert David Spiegelhalter will show how to take apart the statistics that we get bombarded with, starting with stories in that morning’s newspapers.
- FOOD – John Osborne– we get the witty, gentle and charming poet John Osborne’s take on Food & Drink this time!
- LOCAL NEWS –Heidi Allen– Former MP for South Cambridgeshire, Heidi Allen talks to compere Steve Cross about food banks, post-brexit Britain, party politics and more.
- UK NEWS– Kajal Odedra, Executive Director of Change.org UK and author of ‘Do Something: Activism for Everyone’, believes that everyone should know how to speak up and be heard so she’ll talk to us about how we can all be activists.
- CROSSWORD – Son & Sons– For 5 years Son and Sons have been the London Sunday Papers Crosswords Editors. Imagine a crossword with no clues, imagine two classically trained actors performing the clues, imagine completing the clues fastest and winning a dubious prize. We’re beyond delighted to have Son & Sons appear for their hilarious, live crossword – pens at the ready people!
- SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY– Dr Matt Wilkinson is a zoologist based at the University of Cambridge, and author of Restless Creatures: The Story of Life in Ten Movements. In this talk, he’ll be exploring ‘Impossible Creatures’and what limits evolution’s creative power.
- GARDENING– Simon Watt, zoologist, broadcaster and author and founder of the Ugly Animal Society – find out which are the ugliest animals, and what is so great about these weird and wonderful beasts!
FOOD, DRINK & ACTIVITIES
- Food & Drink– We’re delighted to be teaming up once again with local Indi business Bread and Meat, who have designed some gorgeous Sunday-roast style gourmet sandwiches for us – the perfect accompaniment to your Bloody Mary, Mimosa or a lovely bottle of wine (all on sale at 1815 – Cambridge Union’s bar). Choose from either rare roast British beef, with horseradish butter, rocket, tomato and balsamic dressing, sourdough ciabatta or roast mixed vegetable roll with fresh salsa verde (with or without manchego cheese), sourdough ciabatta (for vegetarian & vegans.) Food must be ordered in advancewith your ticket (£8.00 per sandwich) and numbers are limited, book your food now.
- The Union’s 1815 Bar will serve up Bloody Marys, Prosecco, wine, beer and more. Coffee and soft drinks and gourmet snacks also available.
- Walk– One of the most popular parts of the Sunday Papers Live Day are the legendary walks run by Cambridge On Foot. Be sure to sign up when you arrive, to secure your place, and whether you’re a Cambridge resident or not – you will see the city through new eyes and learn fascinating facts from our charming and entertaining guides.
- Art Activity – come along to our arts and crafts table and do something creative!
- Live music – tba
Tickets and Event Info
Tickets are available now: £15.00 for adults, and £10 for 12-18 years. Ticket price includes all talks, performances and entertainment, guided walk and art activity. The ticket price does not include food or drink. Order your Bread & Meat gourmet sandwich- by Thursday 12th for £8.00. The day runs from 12.00 pm, until 5.30pm. Location is the Cambridge Union in central Cambridge, CB1 1UB.